A nice Linux vs. MS rundown

Ten things Linux distros get right (that MS doesn't)

I use Windows and Linux every day. They're both competent operating systems, each with reasonable applications and windowing systems. I find myself more productive on a Linux system, though, because of a few very simple differences.

So what are the differences?

  1. A useful terminal. So what if it's only useful for developers: I'm a developer. I like a terminal with capable cut-and-paste, tabs, and resizing.
  2. All-in-one application sources. Man, I love my apt. Finding and downloading applications for Windows is a crap-shoot in almost every way. I find this especially handy when building new systems: it takes far longer to build, update, and add needed applications on a Windows system than on most Linux systems.
  3. Cut-and-paste, and focus handling. Middle-click cut-and-paste is even more useful than middle-clicking a URL to a new tab, and XWindows does scroll-wheel window focusing right (scrolls the window under the cursor).
  4. Frequent, painless patches and new stuff, all the time. I've had a 3d desktop (compiz) and funky search (deskbar) for more than a year now (and I avoid the bleeding edge).
  5. Multi-desktops. Using a single desktop now is a lot like working at a grade-school desk: it's just too small to be useful.
  6. Good, free tools. Like vim (or emacs). I know they're old and crusty, but they both live and breathe text editing.
  7. No reboots. I rarely have to reboot a Linux system when patching. Windows is getting better about reboots, but they're still too frequent.
  8. Open formats and protocols. My stuff (and my network) is mine, locking my stuff in proprietary, costly formats doesn't work for me.
  9. No need for paranoia. I don't like the anti-malware tax: the cost, the CPU cycles, and the wasted fear. Signed application bundles are a big part of how Linux gets this right: you don't have to fear installing new stuff (the rest is in frequent patching and limiting possible damage).
  10. Respect. Don't tell me what or how to do it: give me choices. And don't treat me like a criminal, because I'm not.